Posts for: May, 2012
Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) is a condition of the elbow caused by overuse. It causes inflammation of the tendons that join the forearm muscles on the outside of the elbow when these muscles are used repeatedly.
Contrary to its name, you don’t have to be a tennis player to get tennis elbow. The condition can be caused by any activity that involves repeated twisting of the wrist. Plumbers, chefs, construction workers and even those who frequently use a computer mouse are also prone to the condition.
Symptoms of tennis elbow develop slowly, getting worse over weeks and months. The most common symptoms include:
- Elbow pain that gradually worsens
- Pain radiating from the outside of the elbow to the forearm when doing anything that requires a twisting a motion
- Weak grasp, making it difficult to open a door, shake hands or hold a coffee mug
Let’s face it—tennis elbow is painful and debilitating. Traditional treatment options include:
- Rest. Can take several weeks for arm to heal and recover.
- Activity modification. Changing your form or modifying equipment used in your sport or activity can sometimes help relieve pain.
- Bracing. Wearing a brace on the forearm may help reduce symptoms.
- Injection therapy. Corticosteroid injections to reduce inflammation have been effective in the short term.
- Surgery. When symptoms don’t improve after conservative treatment, surgery may be suggested to repair damaged tissues, in which case extensive rehabilitation and recovery would follow.
Unfortunately, many people continue to suffer from tennis elbow for years despite their best efforts to utilize common treatment methods. The repeated attempts to relieve the pain and regain mobility have ultimately been ineffective.
MLS Laser Therapy in Tampa for Tennis Elbow
Whether you’re a seasoned athlete or a manual laborer, you want to return to your active lifestyle quickly and without medication or surgery. New clinical evidence from the BMJ medical journal is saying that’s possible with Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT).
Low Level Laser Therapy is a safe and non-invasive alternative to tennis elbow treatment. Dr. Kollias, Tampa chiropractor, offers the most powerful form of LLLT, called MLS Laser Therapy. This advanced low level laser works by accelerating the healing process to decrease inflammation and pain without drugs or invasive measures. Unlike other traditional treatments, MLS Laser Therapy has no known negative side effects, and it works quickly with a series of short treatments that last just minutes in duration.
Everyone suffers from occasional muscle pain. But one type of muscle discomfort, myofascial pain syndrome, can last for days on end. Myofascial pain syndrome is the most common cause of undiagnosed aches and pain, such as chronic headaches and back pain. This musculoskeletal condition is characterized by persistent pain originating from trigger points (sensitive points in your muscles) all over the body.
There’s no known cause of myofascial pain syndrome. However, strains or injuries to the muscles, ligaments or tendons may aggravate the condition. The most common symptom of myofascial pain syndrome is long lasting or persistent muscle pain in areas such as the back, neck, shoulders, and chest. Other common symptoms of myofascial pain may include:
- A tender knot in a muscle
- A deep, aching pain in a muscle
- Reduced range of motion in the affected area
- A feeling of weakness in the affected muscle
- Pain that persists or worsens
- Pain that interferes with sleep
The most commonly used interventions for treatment include physical therapy, injection therapy, pain medication and massage. But more recently, a study by the International Association for the Study of Pain has found strong evidence for Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) and its ability to effectively inhibit pain and inflammation caused by myofascial pain syndrome.
Also known as Cold Laser Therapy, LLLT was recently approved by the FDA and is a remarkably effective treatment for myofascial pain and many other chronic musculoskeletal conditions. Dr. Kollias is one of the few chiropractors in Tampawho can offer LLLT. He has had great success in using this breakthrough technology for the treatment of chronic myofascial pain.
The low level laser treatment has several advantages compared to other short-term or intrusive procedures. LLLT eliminates pain and inflammation, promotes natural healing without the use of medication, is safe and non-invasive, and improves the overall quality of life.
Unlike most lasers, LLLT is “cold.” Heat is not used on the body’s tissues, but rather it gently stimulates nerve cells to repair damage. Each treatment session takes only a few minutes, and results are long lasting with many patients feeling improvement right away.
To learn more about LLLT, contact Dr. Kollias. Find out if you are a candidate for Low Level Laser Therapy, and say goodbye to your chronic pain once and for all.